(urth) Is Agia a Robot?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Jun 18 06:53:29 PDT 2010

I'd read this more as Wolfe musing, "How will I call robots without
sounding like ad copy for a Japanese toy? Hm, well the inventor of
robots called them chemical in nature. This runs against the cliche.
Thus, applying Brunians' radical principle, I shall call them "chems." "

He faced this problem with Long Sun, where robotness was known and
accepted as part of what is not hidden (the local world created by the
local archon).

With New Sun, he did not face this problem, because he said instead, "I
will not refer to robots at all; they are hidden." On Urth, they are
part of the Outside, not the Inside.

And yet both universes are full of robots, half-robots, future robots,
former robots, humans on their way to becoming robots/robots becoming
humans. Perhaps the halo around Agia and Agilus is a blessing of a union
between bot and human as much as man and woman.

Furthermore, I read robots as being almost blasphemous in their
unnaturalness, plainly the work of an inferior Creator, although not at
all evil. It's a small step from there to sexbots, which are already
available in Japan.

(In fact, I can't think of anything more perfectly blasphemous than a
pair of sexy male/female twins mating and creating a race of superbots.
Dr Who would have stopped them in the nick of time; Severian would kill
them. Perhaps Severian's story is in part a record of his stopping
various potential future histories so that only one remains.)

Recall that Tolkien made a big deal of explaining that Sauron and his
predecessor could not create life, only twist it.

Brunians, where is the line telling us that Hethor digs bots?