(urth) crackdown 2.0

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jun 7 21:56:50 PDT 2010

On 6/7/2010 9:37 PM, Ranjit Bhatnagar wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Gwern Branwen<gwern0 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I would also like to add a third suggestion: *please stop changing subjects*!
>>
>> I try not to complain but merely 'mute' or 'killfile' threads I find
>> dull or stupid (like a great many in the past few weeks), but I cannot
>> do this if people keep changing the subjects - the emails with
>> modified subjects will land right in my inbox, and like a rat on an
>> intermittent reinforcement schedule, I will read it to see whether
>> something interesting has been said.

I do not feel it right for you to expect everyone else to modify their
behavior to suit your reading preferences.

> This is also officially encouraged behavior.  Think of it as a
> bureaucratic filing system - even if the topic of discussion drifts,
> keeping the subject the same helps keep the thread of thought
> together.

Wait a minute - just two weeks ago you said "It's a good idea to edit
the subject line of a discussion to reflect the topic being discussed" -
which is it?

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >