(urth) crackdown 2.0

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 14:06:20 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Ranjit Bhatnagar <ranjit at moonmilk.com> wrote:
> The urth list is getting way too busy these days, so I'm gonna lay
> down the law again.  Please send any comments or complaints directly
> to me <ranjit at moonmilk.com> rather than to the list.
>
> 1. Please stick to the core mission of the list, which is discussion
> that *directly* relates to Gene Wolfe's fiction (with occasional
> diversions for notable events in the sci-fi and literary worlds).
> Religion in general and atheism in general are not suitable topics.
>
> 2. I'm setting an informal goal of no more than approximately five
> messages per person per day.   It's ok to go over five now and then,
> but don't feel like you need to use all five every day, either.  I'm
> not going to bother counting individual's messages, but I'm hoping
> that we'll get slower-paced and more focused discussions.  If this
> doesn't slow the list down enough, I'll make it a technical
> restriction, which will be much more annoying for everyone.  We'll see
> how it goes.
>
> - Ranjit

I approve of these restrictions.

I would also like to add a third suggestion: *please stop changing subjects*!

I try not to complain but merely 'mute' or 'killfile' threads I find
dull or stupid (like a great many in the past few weeks), but I cannot
do this if people keep changing the subjects - the emails with
modified subjects will land right in my inbox, and like a rat on an
intermittent reinforcement schedule, I will read it to see whether
something interesting has been said.

--
gwern