(urth) Rudesind / Inire / Lunar Picture

Edward cotton severedda at hotmail.fr
Mon Jul 26 11:45:46 PDT 2010

Forgive me if I am going over old ground but I am a first time user of this forum
(after hanging about for a year or two) and I have just started a re-read of the
New Sun after a long break.
Much of what occurs later in the books I have forgotten.
So I am forming theories that may turn out to be horribly ridiculous. I did see a
bit of recent discussion about Rudesind and Inire – which sprang to mind
as I read “The Picture-Cleaner and Others” chapter.

The line that jumped off the page for me this time was -
“There’s your blue Urth coming over his shoulder again, fresh as the Autarch’s fish.”
Rudesind - when showing Severian the lunar landscape image.

The use of “your blue Urth” makes me strongly believe Rudesind
is a Cacogen and possibly Inire.
I also wondered if this is something he(if it is Inire) does to all potential
Autarchs / Concilators. Show them an early image of the Earth lit by the
sun – fresh as the Autarch’s fish. He mentions that he has cleaned
this image 2 other times in the past and I wonder if the vague times he gives
could correspond to the rise of the previous two Autarchs.

Well, I apologise for the quality of my English – I have no excuse apart from lack of education.