(urth) Rudesind / Inire / Lunar Picture

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jul 26 15:46:01 PDT 2010

On 7/26/2010 1:45 PM, Edward cotton wrote:

> The use of “your blue Urth” makes me strongly believe Rudesind
>
> is a Cacogen and possibly Inire.

If Rudesind is secretly Inire, Inire has also hidden this from the Old
Autarch, and presumably from as many autarchs as overlap a
false-Rudesind's plausible lifetime.

Also, "your blue Urth" is ultimately the translator's choice of words,
not necessarily a literal translation of what Severian recorded. "Your
[item]" is part of an English idiom that is popular among craftsmen who
work on other people's property, perhaps like an engineer who has been
hired to improve an existing potato chip production line, and this has
become a marketing tool where "your" addresses the audience even if they
don't own the item yet, and even if the crafter is promoting a recipe or
abstract idea rather than a service.

Googling "your basic" yields 2 million + examples of this modest
variation, but the idiom is at least decades old; "Your Show of Shows"
debuted in 1950.

> I also wondered if this is something he(if it is Inire) does to all
> potential
>
> Autarchs / Concilators. Show them an early image of the Earth lit by the
>
> sun – fresh as the Autarch’s fish. He mentions that he has cleaned
>
> this image 2 other times in the past and I wonder if the vague times he
> gives
>
> could correspond to the rise of the previous two Autarchs.

Inire has been around since at least the reign of Ymar, about a thousand
years before Severian, and there have been dozens of Autarchs during
this time. However, there were only two before Severian that stood trial
in Yesod, they might correspond to the two earlier cleanings.

> Well, I apologise for the quality of my English – I have no excuse apart
> from lack of education.

You are doing fine. Effort of speech encourages brevity and
consideration. Some other posters here are given to overuse their
command of English almost as much as I do.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >