(urth) Inire as a hierodule

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 04:34:12 PDT 2010

John Watkins wrote (07-07-2010 19:12):
> 2010/7/7 António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com
> <mailto:entonio at gmail.com>
>> John Watkins wrote (07-07-2010 19:00):
>>> But we're supposed to understand that he's a hierodule.
>> Why not some other kind of being?
> I'm eager to consider any kind of being that there is textual evidence
> for.  He himself refers to his own kind in his letter, though, doesn't
> he?  So unless he's lying, or there's some more direct set of
> information to rely on, what kind of being other than humans has
> Severian encountered?

I finally got around to revisiting the letter.

First thing of, he refers to himself as 'Inire'. That suggests against
mangling of the name, at least including word boundaries.

Second, he twice mentions his 'cousins'. Not his brothers nor his makers. I
suspect he's not a hierodule. Something related to them, but not one. Not
that it matters terribly.