(urth) UotNS and how it screws with your head

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 10:19:41 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Wolfe is usually portrayed as a devout Catholic but, given his writing, I have serious
> doubts whether he has the same view of grace and the "God Is Love" stuff that most
> Christians have or are supposed to have. He really seems to have a dark and pessimistic
> side which comes out in pretty much all his work. Where, in his work, is the shining,
> uncompromised  redemption we must (as christians) eventually, somehow achieve? Is he
> saving that for his last novel maybe?

I think this deeply misunderstands Wolfe and Christianity.
Christianity is pretty much a "dark and pessimistic" religion when it
comes to the nature of this world. Christians believe that the
Universe is _broken_, beyond repair; God's only option for redemption
is Apocalypse, end the whole thing and start again. The only optimism
comes in the belief that some of us will get to participate in the
rebooted, unbroken Universe. C.S. Lewis put it very nicely:
Christianity is an underground movement in an occupied territory.

Nor is redemption something we must "achieve." It is given to us,
undeservedly; that's what "grace" is all about.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes