(urth) UotNS and how it screws with your head

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 10:11:26 PDT 2010

John Watkins:

>I don't think so...I think the black hole in the Sun exists as a white fountain
>in the lower universe (Abbadon?)   It would follow that the white fountain Severian
>creates exists as a black hole in Yesod or some higher plane.  There may be an
>incredible number oflayers of universes...

Nice post John. My thinking has leaned in the same direction, heavily influenced
by the (surprisingly) hard SF, (shockingly) foresighted 1972 book, The Gods Themselves,
by Asimov. I don't feel it is considered a very seminal work though it did win the Hugo
and Nebula.  Surely Wolfe read it?

It paints a very similar picture of the universes leaking from higher energy to lower
which might clarify things in BotNS. As you say, Severian's (and Apheta's?) creation
was a White Fountain in Briah. But it was a black hole they created in Yesod
(no snarky comments please). Was Yesod (or maybe Sol) left with a black hole that they
will need to repair?

We have heard the black hole in Urth's sun was created as a punishment. But could we
infer that it (also) was created when a nastier version of Severian travelled to Briah
to get a white fountain to bring back and heal the black hole for a nastier version of
Urth in Abbadon?

>Metaphorically (and maybe literally), I think Wolfe is making a point about
>grace...God, being the well that never goes dry, can give without taking... et cetera.
>These points would be lost, or their effectiveness reduced, if the white fountain and
>the black hole were one and the same.

Wolfe is usually portrayed as a devout Catholic but, given his writing, I have serious
doubts whether he has the same view of grace and the "God Is Love" stuff that most
Christians have or are supposed to have. He really seems to have a dark and pessimistic
side which comes out in pretty much all his work. Where, in his work, is the shining,
uncompromised  redemption we must (as christians) eventually, somehow achieve? Is he
saving that for his last novel maybe?

In a way I hope so. But I doubt Gene Wolfe's worldview is likely to become more
positive as he nears death. Tzadkiel, who is so much more spiritually advanced than
Severian, is still infinitely far from the Increate. I suspect a soul will have to pass
through an eternity of incarnations before becoming one with God, in the Wolfean cosmos.
And that is dark, pessimistic and depressing.