(urth) Mormons inside a black hole

Steven Bowen McQuaryq at Comcast.net
Wed Jul 28 22:24:05 PDT 2010

On Jul 26, 2010, at 6:58 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:

> I wonder if Steven Bowen would care to comment on the individual
> character of Mormons still with the LDS Church, and how this might
> reflect on the themes of of false religions cultivating genuine
> virtues in Wolfe. For instance, the obviously self-promoting
> missionary traditon of the LDS also encourages young people in the
> church to not just become educated about other parts of the world
> but also to become familiar with them first hand and perform
> charitable acts there along with the rest of the mission. How much
> of this is borne out in practice?

Freedom of religion has had some strange expressions in America.  The
problem, insofar as I'm interested, with the Mormons, is that their
claims are made contrary to what reliable objective records show to
be the case - the facts under contention occurred mere decades ago.
Smith had a long history of charlatanism reaching back into his early
adolescence.  Is this the man who you'd trust with a story of golden
plates?  In a word, no.

Steve--ya ya, unreliable narrators and all that.