(urth) #

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 16:38:54 PDT 2010

>Jeff Wilson- when I said aquastors presumably could be turned to breathe water, I
>meant that as unliving projected images they needn't be dependent on air
>or any other necessities of life......since they are effectively 3D cartoons.

Or holograms? Wolfe does invoke them in the first few chapters and eidolons can
shatter and become silver shards or something like that. Anyway, I guess they
gain real substance by eating and drinking and adding read atoms to their bodies
or something like that (say B, F and o?).

So perhaps all of Severian's power, resurrection, healing, water breathing were
bestowed when he became an eidolon/aquastor on the Ship. And his powers are at
least nascent as long as the White Fountain is within range.

>Jeff Wilson- This seems out of sequence, he demonstrates resurrection and healing
>during the first four volumes.

I think we are meant to understand that the Ship is travelling outside of time
and temporal sequencing there has little meaning, relative to Urth.

During the first four volumes the White Fountain is in existence and
hurtling toward Urth. In fact it is much closer to Urth than when Severian takes
conscious control of his power back in Typhon's era.

We are told the White Fountain is an aspect of Severian himself. So, when he was
born it was under a star which was already a part of him and it had the potential
to convey divine power to him throughout most of his life, conscious of it or not.
(perhaps this is an allusion to another famous birth star?).