(urth) Tzadkiel/Melek Taus

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Fri Jul 9 14:05:45 PDT 2010

John Watkins wrote:
> This is actually pretty clear in the text, IMHO.  The Hierogrammates are
trying to breed a new race of Hieros.  Severian's task as epitome of Urth is
to persuade Tzadkiel that the humans of Urth have the genetic materials
needed for potential future Hieros.  The destruction of Urth is followed by
partial repopulation by humans hand-picked by the Hierodules, presumably for
their genetic materials.<
________________

Uh, I don't think so. Most of the people Sev found on Ushas after he
returned there from the stone town were the decendants of the sailors on the
Ship who had lost the fight with Sev and the eidolons right after the sham
Trial.

      I said, "Not knowing fire or anything else," and as I
spoke I recalled what the young officer had reported: that
Hierodules had landed a man and woman on the grounds
of the House Absolute. Remembering that, it was simple
enough to guess who my priest's forebears had been--the
sailors routed by my memories had paid for their defeat
with their pasts, just as I would have lost the future of my
descendants had my own past been defeated. (URTH, 369)