(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 10:35:20 PDT 2010

Sorry for the blank message; I clicked when I should have clacked.

Anyway.

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com> wrote:

>> Any clue to Inire is worth considering and processed however you see fit. Same with speculation on the humanity of other characters.

So if I were to speculate, say, that Dorcas was not human, would that
be worth considering? Why or why not?

I think speculations are interesting and worth considering to the
extent that they are backed by evidence from the text at hand.

>> If Zak can change from a strange dwarf thing to a furry monster. Could Inire change from a red wizened ape who could be a man, into Inire, into Fechin, into Rudesind? If he IS doing these things, and spying on Severian's journey, isn't that important?

Yes, IF he is doing these things, it's important. However, it seems to
me that the textual evidence given that he is doing these things is,
thus far, flimsy at best. That he is spying on Severian's journey?
Probably. That he is Fechin and Rudisind? I see no substantive
evidence.

I realize that you are answering the question "Why does this matter?"
I am suggesting that you are right -- it does matter -- IF it is true
-- but that I see little reason to think it true.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes