(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 10:51:29 PDT 2010

> Anyway, the wording of the Second Amendment is-
>

>> >"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
>> >the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
>>

> To me this wording suggests an interpretation counter to the standard
> Libertarian view which seems to focus on the word "free" and ignores the other
> 26 words. Bearing arms would seem to be meant for the defense of the state not
> to attack the state or defend against it. A "well regulated militia" sounds like
> a state organized function to me not some sort of individual defense against
> the state or lawless brigands or wild animals.

An illuminating reading. And since the amendment addresses "the right of
the People", we get a deeper understanding of this text:

    "Congress shall make no law [snip] abridging [snip] the right of the
    people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a
    redress of grievances."

Obviously these Rights of the People refer merely to the rights of state
legislatures to assemble in session and for them to petition the Federal
government .

u+169b