(urth) Dionysus, Mausoleum

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 05:35:40 PST 2010

>>Jane: Sev loathes Typhon and kills him at the first opportunity.

Forgot to address this. Often, in legends and life, familial hate is the deepest kind.

I used to find Typhon completely loathesome also. I think James' association of him to
Alexander (and Spring Wind) has expanded my vistas on him recently.

We can understand Severian hating Typhon. He threatened his life and would enslave The
Conciliator. But if Typhon is like Alexander perhaps he has some admirable traits as did
Alexander/Spring Wind in younger years.

Typhon wants to elevate and unite humanity. He wants to vanquish the demonic beings in
the oceans. He wants to make Severian his second-in-command. His beating of Severian
wasn't really life-threatening, just an echo of Severian's beating of Eata. Typhon may
be a sexually perverted megalomaniac but perhaps he isn't all bad?

FWIW, I think Severian was deliberately set upon a path to resurrect Dorcas, resurrect
Typhon, defeat Baldanders, etc. But more than once force is manipulating the outcomes of
these events. The more powerful one is working toward the New Sun and succeeds. But the
purpose of the less powerful, Urthly, force is there to be detected also.