(urth) Dionysus, Mausoleum

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 06:43:17 PST 2010

Lee, just wanted to point out that in the snipets I quoted below, as far as New Sun is concerned, it is very hard to look beneath to see anything beneficial or benevolent in Typhon's motives because of the very clear Satan tempting Jesus in the desert imagery.  Kneel before me, and all that you see will be yours.  That scene is almost directly ripped from the bible in what Typhon says and what he offers Severian, so to say he doesn't seem all bad can only come from Long Sun.

The Satanic reference is so heavy handed its almost plagiarism throwing in two heads and an elevator car.  In addition, this is the scene in the bible where Satan directly tries to stop Jesus from the ministry that will culminate in earthly salvation, the most direct attack of his sinister temptations to be seen probably anywhere.  The clear parallel is that if Sev failed here, he fails forever.

marc