(urth) Father Inire Theory cont.

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 06:27:20 PST 2010

>James Wynno- Sorry. Didn't mean to whine.

Funny James! You have a grape sense of humour.

Anyway, to continue on my sprawling theory. In the past I've gotten bogged down in
identifying the various guises of Father Inire and how he and others might fit into
Severian's family tree. I'll skip over that, at least for now, and attempt to address
the deeper, more significant issues.

Father Inire might appear in sort of a Merlin's role on first blush. But unlike true
monarch, Arthur, the Autarchs do not have royal blood nor divine grace. They are drawn
from among the commoners. In my last post I illustrated the weakness of The Autarchy and
the secret power residing in Father Inire for the 1000 year history of the Commonwealth.

When Vodalus feeds his followers Thecla's body it is with the hopes that her loyalty to
him will be imbued in them. But, as Severian's coin symbolizes, everything Vodalus does
is a cheap imitation of the Autarch. He is such a dupe he doesn't know where the true
power of the Autarchy lies. Vodalus is so clueless he doesn't realize his own movement has
been propped up by Father Inire, as evidenced by his flier and blaster, and the Inire
dictated ascension of his successor, Agia. Father Inire maintains the continuity of the
Autarchy by having each successor eat the brain of the predecessor.  Again, Vodalus uses
just a cheap imitation of the true seat of power's method of instilling loyalty and
compliance.

I previously mentioned Inire parallels in Rasputin and Cardinal Richelieu, and there is a wealth
of imagery in literature, from Aladdin to LOTR, of the evil vizier using dark arts to
secretly control the throne and kingdom. I'd like to label the imagery with some song lyrics:

>Please allow me to introduce myself...I"ve been around for a long, long year. Stole many a man's
>soul and faith. I was around when Jesus Christ had his moment of doubt and pain. Made damn sure
>that Pilate washed his hands and sealed his fate. Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name.
>But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game.

>I stuck around St. Petersburg...killed the Czar and his ministers, Anastasia screamed in vain.
>I rode a tank, held a general's rank when the blitzkrieg raged and [6 million] bodies stank.
>I watched with glee as your kings and queens fought for 10 decades for the gods they made.
>I shouted out, "Who killed the Kennedys", when after all, it was you and me.
>Pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name.

>Rolling Stones- Sympathy For The Devil

Many have wondered why the Autarch/Inire would keep and sustain the Vodalus movement. The explanation
is that like Vodalus, Father Inire/Devil/Demiurge has no choice but to rule in a cheap imitation of the
true source of power in the universe(s).

Some Christians assume the Devil is simply evil and meant to be vanquished. Some thoughtful Christians
wonder why God doesn't vanquish him now. More thoughtful Christians understand that the Devil exists to
be opposed but not vanquished (until the End Of Days). The hammer needs the anvil.

(to be continued)