(urth) Suzanne Delage redux

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 15:08:47 PST 2010

From: Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com

> From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>

>> An easily overlooked clue is that Pie Club. What kind of pie? Only one kind
is
> mentioned, very close--chess pie, an old Southern dessert.

> Where is the Pie Club described as baking 'chess pie'? 'chess' is used
> exactly once in the story, and nothing to do with pies ("the chess and
> debating society types").

Sorry to be unclear.  I was joking, as I said in my postscript.  Robert Borski,
you told us, took "Pie Club" as a
clue for apples.  Well, the word "apple" isn't even the story, and neither is
"blueberry", "peach", or any such--
but "chess" appears fairly close to "pie".  So I was suggesting that,
nonsensical though the pie-leads-to-chess
connection is, it's still stronger than the
pie-leads-to-apple-leads-to-poisoned-apple-leads-to-Snow-White
connection.  ("Queen" is equally good for both, of course, and now that I think
about it, so is Suzanne's
black hair and white skin.)

Jerry Friedman