(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 76, Issue 8

Nick Lee starwaterstrain at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 08:31:47 PST 2010

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:48:41, Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com> wrote

The least heartening thing about this whole conversation is that Wright has
> been deemed wrong or (worse) incapable of comprehending certain spiritual
> motivations of Wolfe's text strictly because he is reading it from an
> atheist's perspective.

I don't think anyone made that claim. This issue has been made into far more
than it originally was. I suppose because it's more interesting this way.

>Where does it end? I think it is shameful to think a critic should have an
asterisks next to his/her name in order to give those who >happen to
disagree with their criticisms a way out. "Oh, look, he's an atheist. See?
How could he possibly understand the religious >underpinnings of Wolfe's
work?"

Here is a fallacy: the slippery slope.

After reading *Attending Daedalus*, I thought Wright was "eschewing the
traditional religious interpretation" of the Sun books because of his
physicalist worldview (though I do not know his worldview and he never
announces it to my knowledge). I'm a physicalist myself. If you had read
Wright's book you would see that he criticizes the religious readings of
Wolfe on the basis that those readers are religious.

Nicholas Goodman