(urth) Fish and Caves

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Dec 23 10:15:56 PST 2010

Marc, I think some of your ideas about the Short Sun are very interesting, esp. Horn as Babbie.  I'm less convinced about Neighbours possessing Horn, either your version of it or James's.  But I need to re-read the Short Sun trilogy before I make too many comments on those matters.

However I can't really accept the theory that Urth and Lune are Green and Blue.  Unlike you I see lots of compelling evidence, or perhaps it would be more correct to say that I do not buy your theory that the humans (and animals) of Urth suddenly all mutated into a different species!

Also, here is Silk/Horn stating explicitly that Urth orbits a distant star:

"Soon it will be evening," he said. "If we still haven't gone, we'll go up onto the roof of this house. Standing on the tiles I will point and you will peer until at last you see a certain dim red star. It's a long, long way from here. Think of it now, the sky like black velvet strewn with diamonds in the bottom of a grave, and among the diamonds a minute drop of blood.

"There is a whorl circling that star, an ancient whorl. On that whorl, Juganu, there is an old city you have seen, and through it a river. Its waters are turbid and foul, and seem scarcely to move. You know that river; you have sailed on it. There are women in that river, women who swim up from the sea. I do not speak of the feignings of the sea goddess, but of real women. Some are as tall as towers, some no larger than children. Their hair is green and streams behind them when they swim, their nipples black, and their eyes and lips and nails as red as blood.

(Interesting too that he distinguishes the brides of Abaia from the "feignings of the sea goddess" - and just WHICH sea goddess does he mean?  But that's another matter.)

As for Fomalhaut, there is one question mark over it, which is its distance from Urth - only 25 light years.  That does have the advantage that the Whorl could have travelled at a non-relativistic speed to get there, which at least solves the question of why Typhon, if he commanded such energies, did not himself create a new sun for Urth and Lune.  However, that's an excessively technical quibble anyway, as Wolfe is not a hard SF writer.  But Fomalhaut's distance raises another technical problem which I think is more serious in the literary context - there appears to have been a significant amout of relativistic time dilation on board the Whorl; perhaps 2000 years have passed on Urth while 300 passed on board the Whorl and Blue/Green.  However, a 200-year journey to Fomalhaut would have caused a time discrepancy of only a few months.

Of course, Fomalhaut could have moved since our time, but then it would no longer be in the Fishes Mouth!

Still, there are minor issues (as is the fact that Fomalhaut is too young for advanced life to have evolved on its planets) - it may be that Wolfe did not worry about them.

Overall, I don't see any particular reason to believe that the ancient intelligence contacted by the Cumaean lived on Green or Blue, but no particular reason to rule it out either.

- Gerry Quinn