(urth) christ, already

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 16:13:23 PST 2010

Interesting, Dan'l.  I was going to ask which Person the Outsider was.

Is it correct in Catholic theology to say that the Second Person or Logos has
existed eternally but didn't become Jesus Christ till he incarnated?

If so, and taking Wolfe's word that Briah is a previous cycle, I think one could
say that the Logos existed in (or in relation to) Briah, but Christ didn't.
What that means for grace and salvation I don't know; I think it's been
suggested that Jesus's incarnation had a retroactive effect and thus saved, for
example, Abraham.

I assume that the Conciliator and the man who scourged the merchants are
retroactive "echoes" of Jesus the way the scene at Baldanders's castle echoes
/Frankenstein/.  I don't know whether these echoes happen by some kind of
"automatic" process, like morphic resonance, or by divine intervention.  If the
Outsider did possess the merchant-beater, that must have been a deliberate
decision on His part.

(By the way, somebody, David Stockhoff I think, suggested that the man wouldn't
have been "fortunate" if he'd been crucified later, but Silk is the one who
calls hims fortunate.  I think Silk might have thought being enlightened or
possessed outweighed being crucified, or even that martyrdom was also good
fortune.)

David asked about the point of similar repeated universes.  One possibility
that's been mentioned here is that the author might want to have a Flood without
having God violate his promise to Noah.

Jerry Friedman