(urth) Faterh Inire Theory cont.

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Dec 11 13:38:41 PST 2010

From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at gmail.com>
>> Gerry Quinn-
>> My interpretation is that Jonas recognises the structural materials of
>> which the walls of the antechamber are composed and/or their design,
>> because they are part of his old spaceship.
>
> Interesting theory. It seems to me the consensus has been that Jonas came
> from the Tzadkiel ship. If that's true and Jonas recognizes the ship,
> wouldn't it suggest that House Absolute is founded on the wreckage of
> Tzadkiel?

I never heard that theory.  I don't believe it, because Jonas comes from the
distant past (and so does Kim Lee Soong and presumably many others).
Presumably they came on a ship from that era.  Jonas tells how they got lost
in time and when they returned to Urth the spaceport was gone.  They
attempted to land anyway, but since Jonas was injured and someone on the
ground was killed, it must have been a crash landing.

Tzadkiel's ship is not designed to land, and would not have attempted to do
so.

>> I wouldn't say I'm wedded to this theory, but it seems plausible, given
>> the other supporting evidence.  And it would be typical of Wolfe to hide
>> such a thing in plain sight (I wonder if my differences with Lee and
>> James are in part due to us looking for puzzle solutions in different
>> places?  They look for allusions, I look at descriptions and events in
>> the story.)
>
> Well, it can't be as simple as that. If it were Lee and I would be find
> this theory untenable because it lacks clear, undeniable allusive marks.

Heh.

- Gerry Quinn