(urth) Ouen and Dorcas and ??

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Dec 6 17:38:10 PST 2010

On 12/6/2010 12:34 PM, Ryan Dunn wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2010, at 1:31 PM, Andrew Mason wrote:
>
>> I think we know it's -cas, because Ouen says his mother was called
>> Cas, but the picture he has is of Dorcas. Also - though this is a clue
>> only for us, the readers, not for Severian - the chapter in which the
>> old boatman talks about his wife is called 'Dorcas', although that
>> name is mentioned nowhere in it.
>

> Do we know whether Severian titled the chapters of his own tome? I had never thought of that.

The translator's notes in _Soldier of the Mist_ detail how he uses the
first words of each entry as best he can tell as the chapter title out
of a lack of any other identification within the manuscript. The lack of
a similar practice mentioned in the otherwise similar length notes for
the BOTNS + URTH suggest it had chapter demarcations, though they may ot
have been quite so lurid ("The Key to the Universe") in the original tongue.

There is also the possibility that the book has passed thou other hands
and been copied with errors and elisions and deliberate changes over the
eons of future history past.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >