(urth) mora and hyacinth

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Dec 30 10:21:00 PST 2010

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

>>Antonio Pedro Marques: Just to clear it up: he has only one eye because he
>>gave the other one to
>>Pig. We learn of the giving-his-eye episode in RttW, but it happened
>>before
>>he started writing iGJ. Unless I'm missing something.
>
> Well, from my view SilkHorn only has one eye because Silk's body lost one.
> I mean heck, I look
> on the cover of IGJ and there is Silk with an eyepatch. If I understand
> correctly, he later
> returns to the Whorl and gives an eye to Pig at the end. Leaving him with
> none.

Wolfe didn't paint the cover.  Granted the covers are pretty literal, but I
don't think we can take the artist's rendition as tremendously
authoritative.  (Also, is Horn described as walking through Green's jungles
side by side with a Neighbour?  I don't recall such an incident.  And when
did Horn qua Horn ever lose an eye?)

The artist is conflating Silk and Horn at different periods.  The picture is
clearly of Green, as we can see Blue in the sky - but Silk was never on
Green.

- Gerry Quinn