(urth) Losing Imitation

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 12:37:52 PST 2010

> (when the question comes up of why the Whorl was sent to Blue/Green all I've ever seen are shrugs)

In fairness, that's what Wolfe did when asked why the Whorl was sent.
He also said Typhon didn't know about the inhumi, and they weren't part
of /his/ plan.

> When you say the inhumi "really are human" in dream travel,
> what does that mean? That they show the human form of someone
> they have bitten? I can't really understand any other meaning. These things are really vampires or reptiles or vines or white worms.

Their bodies are reptilian vampires. Their souls are human. Pas and his
family are human in this regard as well...not in the eyes of God
perhaps...but in every other way. At least the way, Wolfe sees it.

It true that inhumi in dream-travel tend to be promiscuous. But that is
because their plight is like that of the chems...human souls trapped in
inhuman corporeal forms (and that is exactly what I think the chems
are). When they get their human (okay, human-ish) bodies, they want to
use them. They want to be loved by humans. It's the Pinocchio story
again. Its like the giants in The Wizard Knight. (It true these bodies
don't need to eat, but they can be killed in the conventional ways, so I
presume if you cut them open, you would find human organs.)

The Rajan says they are truly human. Perhaps he is prejudiced by his
memory of Hyacinth. But he is the best authority we have on this
subject, so I am inclined to believe him. He also says that sex with
them is wrong. And perhaps that is Silk talking (he did speak of a
"taint" between them that doesn't come from either of them).

> (FWIW, Dracula author Bram Stoker also wrote Lair Of the White Worm. I don't think the vampire connection
> is coincidental)

Perhaps, but Wolfe has denied any physical connection between Green/Blue
and St Anne/St Croix. But Wolfe might have had some thought of that
somewhere in the mix as well.

> By analogy I must guess that the Shadow Children appear human to those
> humans they contacted via dreams. Perhaps it is redundant to note that
> both the locals from Ste. Anne and the locals from Green are pretty bad
> at using tools.

Well, twins share dreams, so it is not unlikely that they contact other
entities through dreams. But I'd want evidence that they APPEAR in dreams.

I don't think I'd draw so close a correlation between Fifth Head and
Short Sun. Wolfe is reusing parts, but I don't think the
Neighbors/Inhumi are Shadow Children/abos. Only in part because I think
the abos ARE Shadow Children. I just think Sandwalker and the psychic
tribe he meets in the pit are descended from different waves of human
colonization.

u+16b9