(urth) planetary problems

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 13:27:18 PST 2010

> Lee Berman-
> But is it fully? Consider the lesson of Dr. Veil in 5HoC about abos. The one difference between abos and humans, no matter how closely imitated, is that abos would retain their ability to shapeshift/imitate.

Actually, that's the opposite lesson of Dr Veil and of the evolutionary
loss of the carapace. If the abos are perfect imitations, then they must
lose the ability to shape-shift away from their imitation.

> The Biblical Flood was due to the "wickedness" of men but there is
> the strong implication the wickedness [snip]
> stems from demonic matings and a corruption of the human race.
> The Bible associates the Flood with demons and giants. Dr. Talos' play
> does the same. Blue and Green have implications of Floods and have
> demons and giants all around (vines and trees; inhumi and Mother).
> Urth basically NEEDS demons and giants to warrant a Flood, so...where/what are they?

Here's the deal: I've read that story since before I could read and I
never associated the wickedness of all mankind due to the Nephillim.
I've never heard or read one teacher claim that. It is true that tBotNS
does imply a sense of judgment on mankind. That is precisely what
Severian is told. The Hierogrammates are serving judgment on mankind for
the pain mankind put them through to become who they are.

The ability of the Megatherians and the inhumi to torment mankind is due
to his own wickedness and corruption. I _think_ that the Ushas flood was
intended as a reboot for the human race--like performing a reset on your
computer to get rid of viruses. But the viruses were internal--the
Megatherians were like boils on infected skin.

> In regard to blood bats I am not insisting they are inhumi. Wolfe may not even have thought of them during the
> writing of BotNS. I am suggesting they may imply a demonic presence on Urth.

But we have bat creatures in An Evil Guest and they are (seem to be)
good guys. I don't think we can draw anything universal about that. As
for Lilith/vampire, you are on the right track:
Jahlee, the Fire Aelf, Sabra
She shows up over and over.

I'm not a believer in your Chariots of the Gods G.U.T. It would take
pages to list every problem I have with it. And why bother? I think your
reasoning for reading Wolfe is valid. And one of the useful things about
it is that it allows you to appreciate much of what Wolfe is doing
allusively in the text. But I think your initial axioms are off.

u+16b9