(urth) plantary problems

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 11:24:41 PST 2010

See, this Green is Urth thing is a messy messy can of worms for some reason given what we don't really understand about Silk's powers.  Sorry, my fault.  The implications are chaotic and bizarre, but for all my solutions I prefer to look for evidence with quotes, which I agree are more often than not ambiguous in Wolfe.  So we do have in the text a saying that Silk can enter other people's stories and change them, which is bizarre, like he is a nexus for the creation of mythic reality or something.

But as far as the mechanism goes, yes, obviously, Rigoglio was thinking about Urth, but Silk was thinking about Green.  That was the mechanism I was missing when I thought Blue was Urth, obviously,  there was no thought or motivation from Silk to indicate he was going to Blue.  That scene outright says the guy in charge of the translation through space wanted to go to Green.  So given the description of the city and its sewers and its towers and the retold myth of Severian there, I think that is pointing toward a physical contiguity  with Urth.  I don't have a problem with the Vanished people because they are just the next stage of people in this schemata.

Now Blue is causing all sorts of problems, and I just don't know what to make of the weird conjunction between the two planets either.

I hope someday Wolfe publishes something that will shed light on whether he viewed Severian as a salvific figure or something quite a bit more sinister, and how the white fountain altered the cosmology (or astronomy I guess) of Urth, but that is a vain hope.