(urth) planetary problems

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Dec 28 11:01:55 PST 2010

On 12/28/2010 12:03 PM, James Wynn wrote:
> Okay, there's also "The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories" as
> well where a character in a short story reads a book of short stories,
> and they all know they are characters in a short story. But if someone
> is claiming that that is what is happening in The Book of the Short Sun,
> get ready for some aesthetic blowback. And I'll be puffing along side them.

This happens in BotNS, so why not? Sev obviously is a character in his
own autobiography, and there are many examples of his character Severian
diverging from the narrator Severian as he consciously and perhaps
subconsciously omits certain items that remain directly or indirectly
referenced in other places.

But he is also firmly convinced that he is a character in a play, of
which life on Urth and elsewhere is a collection of plays put on for the
benefit of an unknown audience, and he's not talking about the Yesodis,
by then whom he knows very well.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >