(urth) planetary problems

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 09:55:02 PST 2010

Yes, the question of what exactly Blue is remains a big problem of understanding what happened when the New Sun came,  why there is a city there underwater, maybe even what caused the eclipse that spared Severian's life in the time of Apu Punchau.

I am going to re-read the entire cycle, but I have a feeling there is some cosmic event in Urth of the New Sun that can shed light on that - either a transplantation of Yesod, a movement of Urth itself, or maybe something that will reveal the New Sun is a hoax, that the orbit of the planet was altered or something.  I am really not sure and want to look at the descriptions of Apheta's planet, because there is a scene in Urth where Severian looks up and thinks Apheta is looking at him from the sky or something.  Need to find that quote.

Any hints that Yesod could have been altered or moved?  I have only read Urth of the New Sun twice, once when I was a little boy when it first came out, so my memory of that particular text is weak.  I have only read Short Sun twice as well, but that second time was with notes and a fine tooth comb as an adult.

Also a very freaky scene where Severian exits through his own ear to find himself in another mirror reality or something, I never fully understood the implications of that doubling ear to ear transfer when he is bowing at the Pelerines altar, I believe.
Marc