(urth) themes, one sentence solutions etc

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 08:27:08 PST 2010

> Marc Aramini
> [snip]There had to be a way to prove either Blue was Urth or a
> parallel between them that would explain the mistaken translation
> across time and space.  And there wasn't one!  I looked everywhere,
> There was no mechanism.  But as soon as "green is urth" came up, lo,
> there it was, the mechanism, Silk was thinking of Green and wanted to
> take his people there, the city of Nessus is compared to the city on
> Green, and know I can't see that city as anything but Nessus.  [snip]
> I know that I am right, from the stage of my comprehension of the text
> at the time I ran into my barrier, and the fact that three words
> overcame the barrier to my satisfaction.

Marc,

I was as disturbed as you when the party in IGJ went to Urth by mistake.
So, how do we get from the Urth of Severian to the planets of Blue and
Green? How do you explain the loss of Lune or the huge change of orbits?
For me, that was hurdle that made me decide, well, maybe I'm focusing on
the wrong thing. I wanted some attempt to explain that gap.

u+16b9