(urth) Fish and Caves

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Dec 23 13:10:04 PST 2010

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>
>>Gerry Quinn: Interesting too that he distinguishes the brides of Abaia
>>from the
> "feignings of the sea goddess" - and just WHICH sea goddess does he mean?
>
> For me, the meanings are pretty clear. The words are spoken on Blue so
> there is
> only one sea goddess he can mean.  The "feignings of the sea goddess"
> refers to the
> female figure that erupts out of the water formed from The Mother's back
> and who speaks
> in Her voice to Horn.

But he's speaking to people who have all just seen Monster Scylla on Urth.
So it's not so clear.

I don't recall the female figure you mention, but as I've said I have only
read the Short Sun books once.  The figure I associate with the Mother is
Seawrack, who is plainly detached.  Seawrack claims to be human, but if so
she has been heavily modified by the Mother.

How are Silkhorn's audience to know he does not mean creatures like
Seawrack?

I agree with you though that he probably means the Mother rather than
Monster Scylla.  Still, there is a possible ambiguity there.

> The Undines in various sizes that he describes are distinguished from that
> "feigning" because
> these are beings which have been pinched off and separated from the main,
> bulky corpus of the
> sea-bound god/demon. The reason it is important to distinguish attached
> from detached beings is
> that once a human  (or larger or smaller) sized being is separated, the
> possibility of rebellion
> becomes possible. This possibility is most clearly raised with the
> tinkerbell Tzadkiel who is
> supposedly being punished with banishment.

Monster Scylla certainly has or can produces attached figures (feignings?),
as seen on their astral visit to Urth.  The ancestry of the undines is still
not entirely certain.  You assert they are detached parts of some sea
monster, and it seems logical given that Monster Scylla seems to be budding,
but there is no proof of it.  Severian himself thinks Juturna once lived on
land, but grew too large; this is after she injures herself trying to leave
the water to get him.  (This happens before Baldanders jumps in Lake
Diuturna, so that's not where Severian got the idea.)

- Gerry Quinn