(urth) Fish and Caves

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 23 12:22:39 PST 2010

>Gerry Quinn: Interesting too that he distinguishes the brides of Abaia from the
"feignings of the sea goddess" - and just WHICH sea goddess does he mean?

For me, the meanings are pretty clear. The words are spoken on Blue so there is
only one sea goddess he can mean.  The "feignings of the sea goddess" refers to the
female figure that erupts out of the water formed from The Mother's back and who speaks
in Her voice to Horn.

The Undines in various sizes that he describes are distinguished from that "feigning" because
these are beings which have been pinched off and separated from the main, bulky corpus of the
sea-bound god/demon. The reason it is important to distinguish attached from detached beings is
that once a human  (or larger or smaller) sized being is separated, the possibility of rebellion
becomes possible. This possibility is most clearly raised with the tinkerbell Tzadkiel who is
supposedly being punished with banishment.

Thematically this aspect of separation is important to recognize as it allows for the possiblilty of
"fallen angels"/demons on Urth whom I think we can recgonize. Lucifer etc. could only rebel once
they had achieved separation from God, yes?

It might even be that Wolfe uses the same principle to allow for the possibility of fallen demons
who rebel against their larger host to become angels amongst us. This is how I interpret Seawrack,
though I get the impression Horn is never fully sure if she might still be true to The Mother and
her purposes. But he is willing to risk it.

Yin, Yang, Tao, etc. Gods, angels and demons, no matter their origin, rebel and unite and co-mingle with each
other and humans, all according to a higher, perfect Plan.