(urth) Fish and Caves

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 08:09:07 PST 2010

James Wynn wrote (22-12-2010 17:35):
> António Pedro Marques-
>> So exactly how many people said it was an astral traveling Oreb before
>> Short Sun got published?
>
> Err...no one? Because astral traveling had not yet been introduced into
> the story? How many found the astral Oreb odd? Everyone. Didn't you?

Weren't there explanations for that episode? If so, have they becoem
invalid? Is everyone currently reasonably convinced that an astral
travelling Oreb is the echt explanation?

>>> How about an alternate theory?
>>
>> António Pedro Marques-
>> Have [alternate theory for Rajan and Oreb's presence in the
>> grandmother's tale] ever been presented that do not involve dream travel?
>> ('Hey, I think Captain X stole the jewels.' 'I'm not so sure.' 'D'ya
>> have any other suspect? Than let's arrest him!')
>
> Do you have one?

We do know that Incanto inserted himself into the others' tales. NB I'm not
saying that's what's happened, just that it could.

I didn't even say there was no evidence that dream travel entailed time
travel. I *asked* - and the context was Marc's hypothesis - whether there
was solid evidence for it. I think I even said I might just have forgotten
it. Do you have to get so excited about everything?

The difference between 'travel' as a more or less planned activity even if
not wholly under the control of the traveller, and simple displacement,
happening at random, as a side effect or not, also seems to have some
relevance. Spatial dislocation seems to be of the fist kind, temporal, if
the examples adduced are examples of it, not so much.