(urth) spatial temporal rules of astral travel

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 10:10:00 PST 2010

Antonio, I acknoledge that the rules are clearly spelled out in the introduction to my full theory, which James Wynn provided the link to early.  Here is the first paragraph of my essay.

"Paradoxes explain everything...since they do, they can’t be explained."
(Krait to Horn as he languished in the pit ~ OBW 211).
Certainly, the most basic perusal of Gene Wolfe’s Book of the Short Sun leads one to the inexorable conclusion that Blue and Green are planets far distant from the ancient Urth of The Book of the New Sun, and that the events in its narrative end just as The Book of the New Sun is beginning. We see both places clearly, and the rules of the travel between the two seem to be just as clear: the autochthonous Neighbors of Green and Blue have allowed the narrator of Short Sun to travel across distances instantaneously. However, by a complicated narrative paradox, the entire sequence falls into an astonishingly different light. Krait’s statement is a meta-textual challenge to the reader of Short Sun - begging us to find the paradox that explains the book.

http://www.urth.org/whorlmap/chras-writers/marc-aramini1.htm

I understand the rules as laid out within the text.