(urth) Fish and Caves

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 08:32:14 PST 2010

James Wynn wrote (22-12-2010 16:09):

>> António Pedro Marques-
>> I just don't see any compelling evidence that dream travel is across
>> time. If it were, shouldn't the trip with Rigoglio be to the time he
>> left Urth?
>
> Really? So Silk seeing an astral flying Oreb in his room while the
> current Oreb is lame downstairs doesn't give you pause?

It would if it were established that Silk saw an astral flying Oreb in his room.

> Incanto and Oreb
> in the grandmother's tale from her youth on the Whorl doesn't seem
> suspicious?

Suspicious but not definitive.

> The screwy timeline in the Book of the Short Sun (Sinews
> kids age not really matching, the times since Horn, Hoof, and Hide not
> matching), that doesn't make you think astral travel is temporal?

Not really. It's not like the incoherences in the narrative are limited to
the timeline.

All those can be evidence, but they're not compelling evidence. There may be
better evidence that I've missed.

> There's something else too. The astral travel that Mucor does is not the
> same as what the Rajan does.

Ok.

> Mucor takes hours to reach the Whorl by
> astral travel. Travel with the Rajan is instanteous. I suspect is Wolfe
> recognizes an ability for Time travel in order to accomplish this.

So it would take ages for them to reach Urth, but the time is cut short by
time-travel, of which they are unaware, and yet they end up on Urth at what
is generally considered the present time? Time travel that exactly
compensates such a great offset, only to deposit them at the present time,
instead of at a point that would make more sense for Rigoglio? (NB this
applies whether one thinks the time they land on is the present time or
something else, as long as it's not close to the time of Rigoglio's lifetime
there.)