(urth) Dionysus, the Mausoleum

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 18:06:52 PST 2010

>Gerry Quinn: I *don't* think Wolfe throws things together randomly.  So I try to find an
>interpretation that fits the different clues.

Gerry you really seem like a decent chap trying to understand the viewpoint of others,
including me, but I'm really not sure what more I can say to help you. Your statement above
really forms the crux of our differences.

I have tried the optical illusion analogy. How can you weigh the evidence to decide if the
correct interpretation of the picture is a young woman or an old crone?

I have tried the Niagra Falls analogy. It can be viewed from many different angles, each
one providing new aspects of wonderment without ruining or being superior to other angles.

I have tried the blind men and the elephant. I have tried the 7 simultaneous levels of Authority
model from BotNS.

Nothing works for you. You keep insisting there is "*an* interpretation" that fits all the different
clues. One and only one best interpretation.

I was thinking of using a symphony orchestra example and trying to explain the horribly limited
nature of singling out the violas as the "best interpretation" of what the symphony is all about and
finding the other instruments.."unlikely".

I just don't think it will help. If it does, that's great. But I don't think I have too many more
illustrations available to demonstrate the value of simultaneous multiple viewpoints as a deeper,
richer way of appreciating art. Either you get it or you don't get it.  Perhaps Wolfe is not art for
you. Or perhaps all art is, for you, just another math problem with a single highest probability solution.