(urth) Dionysus, the Mausoleum

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Tue Dec 21 13:32:37 PST 2010

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

>>Son o' Witz- Lee, Gerry's point is valid. There IS a better description of
>>the elephant.
>>He does NOT put himself in the shoes of this "Sighted Man".
>
>>None of us has the whole map, but if we share and dispute, we might come
>>to an accurate
>>description of the Elephant in the Book.

Exactly.  The blind men can indeed figure out what the creature is, even
though they don't have it as easy as the sighted guy.

It may be an elephant, or it may be a stegosaurus, or it may be something
else altogether.  They'll never find out, unless they challenge each others'
partial interpretations, and come up with a reasonably consistent synthesis.

> I'd have no problem if the discussion were along those lines. My objection
> is illustrated
> by Antonio's post who, when confronted with a contributor who observes
> "the tail seems spiky"
> would respond, "no it isn't"
>
> Gerry, based on recent history, would be more likely to respond, "since we
> are dealing with an
> elephant, I find it highly improbable that the tail is spiky"

I don't think that fairly characterises the sort of argument I've been
making.

> Neither of these guys seems capable of making the intuitive leap to,
> "perhaps we are not dealing
> with an elephant. Perhaps this is a stegosaurus. Let's look into this."
> Rejection and denial is
> like an automatic reflex. They have the right to express this reflex but I
> have the right to object
> to its expression.

I think we're just asking you to clearly make the case for it being a
stegosaurus, and explain the trumpeting sound and what this thing is that we
thought was a trunk.

> I'm suggesting that if you think you have Gene Wolfe's work pretty much
> figured out as
> an elephant, then that's all you'll ever get. And that's fine if that's
> all you want. But why
> try to discourage others from exploring richer, more imaginative
> interpretations?

"Richer, more imaginative interpretations"... are you saying value
judgements are acceptable after all?

- Gerry Quinn