(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 76, Issue 173

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 14:17:40 PST 2010

>> Son of Witz-
>> All I'm saying is the potential exists for Severian to be Typhon's son
>> without cloning, and without needing to be Typhon's father.  I'm not
>> suggesting that this IS what happened. Just an idea that came to me that
>> seems to fit within the given limitations.
> Adam Thornton-
> Since we have time-travel and reincarnation, we could just take this to
> the logical conclusion and posit that everyone in UotNS--male, female,
> cacogen--is one incarnation or another of Severian.

That's not a logical conclusion by any stretch of what I've said or
anyone I've read. Nor it is anything like what I've posited. By the same
token, I could take your sarcasm to the "logical conclusion" and
reductio ad absurdum suppose you are really saying "The New Sun" is
about nothing but the affirmation of sadism or only about descriptions
of pretty ponies .

>  From there it's only a short step to say that he's everyone in all Wolfe's
> stories. Well, except Mr. Million.  That'd be weird.

Carried to it's logical conclusion, you seem to be constantly only one
short step away from saying something ridiculous.

u+16b9