(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 76, Issue 173

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Tue Dec 21 10:44:24 PST 2010

I have "aesthetic blowback" to the idea of Severian as a clone as well.
Here is an idea:
Spring Wind and Bird of the Wood have a sort of tryst, a brief encounter when he comes to Urth. If S.W. Is Typhon, couldn't BotW be Catherine the tim travelling Contessa, shuttered back to Typhon's era for an engineered tryst, then she is back through the corridors of time, or the mirrors, to birth in Severian's era.
Fish and Frog are set adrift on a STREAM. I think thys is a metonymic relation to The Brook Madrigot, and the story reads, "Far that basket sailed..." perhaps the womb-basket sailed up the stream of time.

All I'm saying is the potential exists for Severian to be Typhon's son without cloning, and without needing to be Typhon's father.  I'm not suggesting that this IS what happened. Just an idea that came to me that seems to fit within the given limitations.