(urth) Dionysus, the Mausoleum

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 09:57:15 PST 2010

>Andrew Mason- the moral, I suspect, is that Severian is linked to many kinds and classes
>of people in the Commonwealth.

This sounds almost Dickensian. And in an interview, Gene Wolfe has said that as an only child
he often spent his time people-watching, looking at faces for hints of unknown relatives, missing
siblings etc. (in a stretch this could be a hint at Gene Wolfe's wondering about his own father's
habits, which has influenced some of my thinking in regard to Father Inire, but I'll leave it at
that).

I can generally agree but, since this is SF I can't see restricting the genealogy to the Commonwealth.

>David Stockhoff- So anyway, hybridization is such an important theme...

In so many ways. Hybrids always make the best Conciliators.