(urth) The Outsider

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Dec 16 17:05:19 PST 2010

I think this is correct. I presented my scheme of gradual
improvement/enlightenment because Severian specifically describes it and
it helps sort out why one iteration would have our experience and
Severian's another, but that's all I'd add.

On 12/16/2010 3:32 PM, James Wynn wrote:

> There's another possibility I've mentioned before. And IF I were
> inclined to justify tBotNS with Christian theology I would prefer it.
> I don't, but I would.
>
> Since the cycles of Briah are not linked in Time, they are from a
> practical standpoint indistinguishable from parallel universes. In
> There Are Doors, although the parallel universes are based on a
> fundamental difference, they are very similar too each other anyway.
> For example, Green noticed that Lara's universe doesn't have ice
> cubes. Green explains that this is because the universes are like
> strings on a guitar tuned to the same note. Pluck one and those next
> to it vibrate. So the parallel universes keep each other in line. Men
> in Lara's universe where black tuxedos to their wedding because they
> die after sex. Men in Green's universe do the same only because the
> men in Lara's universe do.
>
> So in Severian's cycle, there was a Christian Church because there was
> in _our_ universe. The Jesus mentioned in Silk's Holy Book is a figure
> of myth. Neither Severian nor the Rajan could any more go back in time
> and meet him than you or I could go back in Time and meet Cinderella
> or Jason or Thor. But that doesn't mean he hasn't heard of him. The
> Outsider is the God of all cycles, and the vision he shows Silk of
> Christ on the cross is from _our_ cycle.
>
> Thus the Good News of the One Event spreads to all cycles for the
> salvation of all.
>
> But that's a very geeky explanation. I prefer to just call it a
> fantasy story of the distant future in our own universe.
>
> u+16b9

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101216-1, 12/16/2010
Tested on: 12/16/2010 8:05:19 PM