(urth) The Outsider

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 12:32:15 PST 2010

>> Andrew Mason-
>> This could be explained in various ways:
>> that Jesus is actually present within that universe.
>> that there is an analogue of Jesus, who is merely a prophet.
>> that the stories have somehow been transmitted from another universe.
>> But I don't think the first is ruled out.
> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes-
> I do. The idea of multiple Incarnations is not only "not strictly
> Orthodox Christianity," it is abhorrent to the idea that Jesus died
> once _for all_. "All" is a big word, which I mostly try to avoid, but
> it's unambiguously present in Scripture.

There's another possibility I've mentioned before. And IF I were
inclined to justify tBotNS with Christian theology I would prefer it. I
don't, but I would.

Since the cycles of Briah are not linked in Time, they are from a
practical standpoint indistinguishable from parallel universes. In There
Are Doors, although the parallel universes are based on a fundamental
difference, they are very similar too each other anyway. For example,
Green noticed that Lara's universe doesn't have ice cubes. Green
explains that this is because the universes are like strings on a guitar
tuned to the same note. Pluck one and those next to it vibrate. So the
parallel universes keep each other in line. Men in Lara's universe where
black tuxedos to their wedding because they die after sex. Men in
Green's universe do the same only because the men in Lara's universe do.

So in Severian's cycle, there was a Christian Church because there was
in _our_ universe. The Jesus mentioned in Silk's Holy Book is a figure
of myth. Neither Severian nor the Rajan could any more go back in time
and meet him than you or I could go back in Time and meet Cinderella or
Jason or Thor. But that doesn't mean he hasn't heard of him. The
Outsider is the God of all cycles, and the vision he shows Silk of
Christ on the cross is from _our_ cycle.

Thus the Good News of the One Event spreads to all cycles for the
salvation of all.

But that's a very geeky explanation. I prefer to just call it a fantasy
story of the distant future in our own universe.

u+16b9