(urth) (no subject)

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 14:47:27 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Matthew Weber <palaeologos at gmail.com> wrote:

A bunch of good stuff with which I take mild exception only to this
one paragraph.

> Grace in the Christian sense doesn't seem to have existed before Christ's
> passion and resurrection.  The Torah seems to embody an accountant's
> approach to morality, with each transgression appearing in the debit column
> and requiring the sacrifice of a corresponding asset.  In comparison, the
> sacrifice of Christ is a general debt amnesty, a super-Jubilee if you will.

1) Grace existed before Christ's passion and resurrection, but it did
so as a result of Christ's passion and resurrection. Grace always
already can be extended to the "virtuous pagan" as well as people like
Moses, Elijah, etc.

2) I'm of Jewish descent, and if I were a practicing Jew (rather than
a rather poorly practicing Catholic) I would take strong offense at
your characterization of the Torah. That is a Christian's view of the
Torah, but not a Jew's.

3) Your soteriology is one common model but not the only one.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes