(urth) (no subject)

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 09:44:51 PST 2010

As I understood it, the cosmology of Arda/Middle Earth was supposed to
be a mythical re-telling of the "true" (for Tolkien) cosmology,
dressed up in the myths of the Elves, etc.  Of course they wouldn't
use angels and demons and creation and all of that; they're not
humans, and the cosmology we have received as revealed wisdom, etc.,
is only for Fourth Age peoples.

But a straight 1-for-1 substitution (a la Lewis) would have been
distasteful for Tolkien, who loved myths and the changes myths and
languages go through as cultures meet and intersect, but hated
allegory.

LH