(urth) (no subject)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 09:41:04 PST 2010

>> David Stockhoff-
>> I understood that to be James' point. Tolkien was a Christian writer.
> I'll let James speak for himself if I'm wrong, but I understood his
> saying that "Silmarillion does not align with the Bible" as meaning
> that it was not in line with Tolkien's actual beliefs. My point is
> that, while I doubt that JRRT actually "believed" the Silmarillion,
> its cosmology actually _does_ align with the Bible, with the correct
> dance steps.
> --Dan'l

Ehh...The creation story in Silmarillion simply does not jive with
Genesis. I don't see how all the hammers and grease in Mordor could
wedge it in.  While there's nothing _hostile_ to Judeo-Christianity in
Middle Earth, I seem to recall that Tolkien said in "Letters" that he
deliberately left religion out of the books.

While Wolfe has not been so careful about not touching the high-voltage
wire called Religion, I think the same thing applies in that his
characters think and talk about religion in different terms than we do.
It is essentially the same as in the Soldier books. Wolfe deals with
religion from the perspective of his characters, not in the way he would
if he were teaching a Sunday School class. The themes and concepts are
compatible and sometimes analogous. The characters' sense of their
relationship to the Increate is different. Irreconcilably different. And
no amount of dancing will bridge the gap. To try to do so is like asking
for scientific justification for Galadriel's bowl. Or to question
whether a human baby raised by a tribe of chimpanzees would survive, let
alone come to lead the troop.

u+16b9