(urth) Sci-Fi

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Dec 15 17:26:32 PST 2010

SF has also been tried on as "speculative fiction." But all it is is an
alternative---or the original---to "sci-fi," which is a marketing
creation more or less synonymous with "bad." As Dan'l says.

However, I'm uncertain as to how to use the term without offending,
since it has a real meaning. Good sf and bad sf share the same
technologies and ideas, after all. Thus, I should have used quotes when
referring to commercial sf.