(urth) Sci-Fi

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 14:37:04 PST 2010

"Sci-Fi" is the sound of two crickets screwing.

More seriously: "Sci-Fi" is a term made up by a publicity hack, in
analogy with the then-popular "Hi-Fi" for "high fidelity" stereo
equipment. It referred, and in many SF fans' minds still refers, to
movies about giant insects devouring Cleveland and suchlike. "Sci-fi"
is, in short, _bad_ science fiction.

Okay, it isn't like "Nigger," "Wop," Chink," etc., but it's offensive.

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Son of Witz <Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org> wrote:

> Why is Sci-Fi offensive?
> Is this like, If you were Straight-Edge playing in a Melvins or Black Sabbath cover band and you insisted that your genre be referred to as "Doom-Metal" rather than "Stoner-Rock"?
>
> On Dec 15, 2010, at 1:50 PM, "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <danldo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, please refrain (note that I am asking politely) from using the term "sci-fi." Some find it very offensive

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes