(urth) Father Inire Theory cont.

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 11:43:52 PST 2010

Is this becoming the same conversation I always have with freshmen in my
literature classes? I invariably get some form of the complaint: "But it's art!
You can't tell me that my interpretation is wrong!"

And I invariably respond with some form of: "I can't tell you that you're wrong,
but I can tell you that you're unconvincing."

My general point is that everyone is, of course, free to respond personally to
literature however they want to. But once they get to the point of sharing their
opinions, their personal reactions are only interesting in so far as they can 1)
communicate them clearly and 2) offer a rationale for those reactions that can
sustain criticism from someone who disagrees. I don't think you have to go so
far as assuming the existence of "universal truths" in order to think that #2
should be a goal when talking to others about lit.

You will also encounter disagreement about what counts as "convincing." But I've
always found it most useful to think about why my own ideas sound unconvincing
to others, not because I assume I'm wrong, but because it's made me better at
convincing them later. (And that's also why I almost always disagree with my
freshmen...not because they're wrong, but because I want them to get better at
defending whatever they think about what they read.)

Wolfe, of course, puts this in especially slippery territory. I think I
mentioned the other week about how difficult it can be to differentiate the
PUZZLES from INTERPRETATIONS in Wolfe. And one of the (probably inevitable)
frustrations with talking about him is when others see the solution of a puzzle
where you see an interpretation. (I have to admit that I feel this almost every
time someone identifies a religious or mythological allusion/similarity in Wolfe
which is then used to "unlock" some tentatively related plot point.)

Who was it that mentioned before that we should avoid confusing "is" with
"resembles"? It seems like that's a constant stumbling block when talking about
Wolfe's work...but it's also hard to tell when that mistake is actually being
made.

Sorry to ramble, but I'm seriously trying to avoid grading right now.