(urth) Faterh Inire Theory cont.

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Dec 12 13:32:12 PST 2010

Wooden ships used to be carefully and colorfully painted. And rooms in
those ships would be opened up for dinner and divided up for sleep, much
as larger rooms in older buildings have been divided up for cubicles or
apartments for about 100 years now.

But that's different. And imagine the problems you'd have with painted
rooms in a starship, even without flaking paint.

I like the thought that clouds relate to the Fortunate Cloud. But
painted vaulted ceilings tend to have skies painted on them. Such a
ceiling could not be more ordinary in a palace. It would be quite
remarkable in a starship. I have never seen such a starship in Wolfe.

On 12/11/2010 5:02 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> From: "David Stockhoff" <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
>

>> I remember that now. Yes, the painted ceiling is not in a starship.
>> Thanks.
>
> Why not?  Must starships always have bare, metallic ceilings?
>
> It could be that some starship captains prefer a more ornate
> decorative style.  What sort of image would they choose?  Well, if one
> were travelling on long voyages away from Urth, why not something that
> would remind homesick sailors of their home?  Clouds and birds,
> perhaps.  Clouds and birds on an Urthly ceiling would be a little
> pointless after all, when one can just go outside and see the real
> thing.  One might argue that the clouds and birds are therefore
> actually a hint that the ceiling is that of a starship!
>
> Or maybe the clouds could refer to the name of the ship:  the
> Fortunate Cloud.
>
> - Gerry Quinn

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101212-0, 12/12/2010
Tested on: 12/12/2010 4:32:12 PM