(urth) Orchid

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 12 13:24:10 PST 2010

>Andrew Mason: Kypris tells Orchid that now the person she loved (Orpine) is dead,
>she must find someone[something] else to love. Does anything ever come of this? I can't recall
>it doing so, but it sounds as if it's meant to prefigure something.

>Meanwhile, though, another Orchid-related question. Silk says 'All the gods know that I pitied
>her [at Orpine's funeral]' and Kypris/Chenille replies 'All the gods don't know. One does. Two.'
>The one is clearly Kypris herself, but who is the other?

I am not nearly as familiar with Long Sun as BotNS but I'll give it a shot. In my opinion, Kypris'
advice to Orchid is actually advice to herself.  Her beloved Pas has been deleted from Mainframe
and now she must find another object to love.

As Kypris has become a part of Hyacynth, I believe she is refering to a character who has a part
of Pas within him, namely, Silk. It is the Silk-Hyacinth love story she is prefiguring.

"Something" implying an object is a funny reference.  Kypris, from our perspective is not a person,
she is a thing, a computer program. How do computer programs view flesh and blood people?