(urth) Father Inire Theory cont.

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 10 16:07:22 PST 2010

It especially makes sense if you consider the curse to be an affliction
that has its own rules, hidden from us. If it's not tied to the full
moon, nor a nightly occurrence, it can come and go as Wolfe pleases.
It's hard to disprove.

On 12/10/2010 6:07 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> What I think is the best piece of evidence is in chapter 11 of
> /Soldier of the Mist/, after Oior saves Latro from the bowman Spu
> (which Borski says Jeremy Crampton glossed as "eye"), when Latro sees
> Spu dead.  Spu points to his eye and calls Latro "Neurian", that is,
> werewolf.  Has Spu recognized Latro as a werewolf?  (Or could he only
> mean that he recognized Latro as Oior's sworn brother and concludes
> that he's Oior's fellow werewolf?  As we find out later, Oior is a
> Neurian, but my alternative seems a bit doubtful.)
> Also, Borski suggests that the unexplained "wolf's tooth" that the
> Mother gave Latro, according to Apollo (Chapter 2) and Kore (Chapter
> 19) is the curse of lycanthropy.
> Other things work as well if Latro is a werewolf as if he isn't.
> Latro could mean "I bark".  His real name, Lucius, sounds like the
> Greek word for "wolf".  He describes himself as "loping" and
> "trotting" (Chapter 41).  And when Latro meets the Triple Goddess, who
> calls herself the Queen of the Neurians (a point Borski misses), he
> says, "My teeth warred in my mouth, the teeth above against the teeth
> below"--chattering with fear, or starting to transform (Chapter 22).
> Borski's ideas of evidence are very different from mine, but this is
> way better than Snow White, you wanna know my opinion.
> Jerry Friedman

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101210-1, 12/10/2010
Tested on: 12/10/2010 7:07:22 PM